Social Services
Information & Resources

*The social services related information and websites provided below are for reference purposes only.
KCI does not provide direct social services.

— Medicare —

Medi-Cal (Medicaid)


Medi-Cal is free or low-cost health coverage for children and adults with limited income and resources.

Who can qualify for Medi-Cal?

Medi-Cal covers low-income adults, families with children, seniors, persons with disabilities, children in foster care as well as former foster youth up to age 26, and pregnant women.

How can I apply for Medi-Cal?

You can apply online at A single application will let you know if you qualify for Covered California or Medi-Cal coverage. You can also apply in person at your local county human services agency or over the phone by calling (800) 300-1506. If you need help applying or have questions, you can contact a trained Certified Enrollment Counselor (CEC) for free. Search a list of local Certified Enrollment Counselors or call (800) 300-1506.

For More information
Please visit →

Disability Benefits


You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:

  • Are age 0f 18 or older;
  • Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
  • Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
  • Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied for medical reasons, the Internet Appeal is a starting point to request a review of the medical determination we made.

For More information
Please visit →

— Low Income —

SSI (Supplemental Security Income)


Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes):

  • It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and
  • It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing and shelter.

The Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who have limited income and resources.

SSI benefits also are payable to people 65 and older without disabilities who meet the financial limits.

People who have worked long enough may also be able to receive Social Security disability or retirement benefits as well as SSI.

For More information
Please visit →

Cal Fresh Program
The CalFresh Program, federally known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), can add to your food budget to put healthy and nutritious food on the table. The program issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores.

For More information
Please visit →

Low Income Muni Pass


The Lifeline Pass is a Muni-only monthly pass for qualified customers on a limited income. At $35, the pass is offered at a 50% discount off the standard adult pass price.

For More information
Please visit →

— Other 

Immigrant Service Fee waiver

For some of immigrant service fees can be waived if you are at or below 150% poverty level. (I-912)


— Seniors —

Free Muni for Seniors


This program provides low and moderate income seniors residing in San Francisco free access to Muni services when using a Clipper card.  (All San Francisco seniors, ages 65+)

For More information
Please visit →

Retirement Benefits


You can apply online for retirement benefits or benefits as a spouse if you:

  • Are at least 61 years and 9 months old;
  • Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
  • Have not already applied for retirement benefits; and
  • Want your benefits to start no more than 4 months in the future. (We cannot process your application if you apply for benefits more than 4 months in advance.)

For More information
Please visit →

— Citizenship 

Applying for Citizenship


Step 1. Determine if you are already a U.S. citizen.

Step 2. Determine if you are eligible to become a U.S. citizen.

Step 3. Prepare your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Step 4. Submit your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Step 5. Go to the biometrics appointment, if applicable.

Step 6. Complete the interview.

Step 7. Receive a decision from USCIS on your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization.

Step 8. Receive a notice to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Step 9. Take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States.

Step 10. Understanding U.S. citizenship.

Application fee: $595 + $75 (Biometric)

Military- Free

75 years or older- Biometric waive


For More information
Please visit →


— Green Card 

Green Card Renewal


When do I need to renew my Permanent Resident Card?

You should renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were issued a card valid for 10 years that has either expired or will expire with in the next 6 months.

If your Permanent Resident Card is valid for only 2 years, you area conditional resident. You will need to file a petition to remove the conditions of your residence before the card expires. You may file this petition 90 days before your conditional green card expires.

If your petition is approved, you will be sent a new Permanent Resident Card valid for 10 years. You do not need to file Form I-90.This is discussed below.

If your card does not have any expiration date on the front, then you have a very old version. Most old versions are no longer valid. Even if your card does not have an expiration date on it, we recommend you apply to renew it.

For More information
Please visit →

Green Card Replacement

If you lost your Green Card, you need to replace it. (I-90)

For More information
Please visit →